Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Who, or What, Do We Serve?

"LUKEWARM PEOPLE will serve God and others, but there are limits to how far they will go or how much time, money, and energy they are willing to give." p. 74


I think this characteristic goes back to those people that truly feel their "duty" as a Christian is to go to church on Sunday and maybe do a few other things here and there. Maybe it's me, but I feel, at times, that we live in this "check-the box-off" society. Everything is task oriented, not about relationships. I have friends that compartmentalize so much of their lives that their "To-Do Lists" include things like: play with the children and talk to God. We have turned the most simple things in our lives into hoops that we must jump through... for what?

The concept of serving God has fallen victim to this same plague. I know there are people out there that serve because they think it's what's expected of them... not because they WANT to serve the Lord. On the flip side, I also know people that throw themselves into service... but not necessarily because they want to serve the Lord either. These people like the attention it brings them... not the Lord. Then you have people like me. I've been known to bite off more than I can chew from time to time... but then again, it isn't because I genuinely want to serve God. For me it was about wanting to draw closer to Him, and I thought my actions, my service, would do that.

Sometimes, I'm left wondering: Who do we serve? God...ourselves...money? What are we motivated by? Over the last few weeks, I've been serving God in a way that might make others uncomfortable... and, to be quite frank, it has made me a little uncomfortable. Going up to strangers and starting a conversation about God would have definitely fallen into my "Jesus Freak" category a few weeks ago. But a funny things has happened to me over the past few weeks. I'm praying more. I'm reading the bible more. I'm talking about me faith more....not out of obligation, but out of desire. I want to serve Him more, for no other reason than TO SERVE HIM MORE. For so long, my service to God has been about something else...motivated by something else. Now, I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off of me and there is no limit to how much of myself I would give to Him.

THE PUSH

Surprise! This ISN'T a Chan video... but it's still REALLY good! The first time I watched it, I was convicted, to say the least. You might need to watch it twice. What I'd like you to do today is share this video with someone else (Christian or not) and get their perspective. Start a dialogue about our faith and what, if anything, we may put above Him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMQe2XwHx4A






No comments:

Post a Comment