Friday, April 16, 2010

God is Eternal.

Today, we'll be focusing on Chan's second characteristic of God:

God is Eternal.

Usually, I take a small segment of Chan's writing and elaborate with my own perspective. However, in this instance, I feel that Chan's words are profound and worthy of repeating in their entirety.

"Each of us had a beginning; everything began on a particular day, a specific time. Everything, that is, but God. He always has been, since before there was an earth, a universe, or even angels. God exists outside of time, and since we are within time, there is no way we will ever totally grasp that concept. Not being able to fully understand God is frustrating, but it is ridiculous for us to think we have the right to limit God to something we are capable of understanding. What a stunted, insignificant god that would be! If my mind is the size of a soda can and God is the size of all the oceans, it would be stupid for me to say He is only the small amount of water I can scoop into my little can. God is so much bigger, so far beyond our time-encased, air/food/sleep-dependent lives." pp. 31-32

I first read this and began to realize that I have foolishly, arrogantly tried to impose limits on a limitless God. I picture His presence in complete darkness...before creation. It's an awesome, humbling thought. I will come and go, but God will remain. My children will come and go, as will their children. The only constant in these generations will be God. He was there to welcome me into this world. And as He was there to welcome every generation before us, He will remain present to welcome every generation that will follow.

He is the Alpha and Omega...The Beginning and The End.

THE PUSH

In your quiet time today, focus on the eternal characteristic of God. I know quite a few agnostics and atheists, and for them, this is one of those "sticking points," if you will. Chan's "soda can/ocean comparative" helps us better understand why some people have a hard time acknowledging God's eternal existence. Take a moment to think about what Chan said. It's imperative that we recognize this as a stumbling block for some that choose not to believe. If you personally know someone that struggles with the eternal characteristic of God, spend some time today praying for wisdom beyond their understanding.




No comments:

Post a Comment