Monday, May 17, 2010

The Faith of a Child

Today we're going to take a look at the second story Chan shares with us. It's about a fourteen-year-old girl named Brook Bronkowski. Here's an excerpt from the book that gives a glimpse at how amazing this young lady was.




"When she was in junior high, she started a Bible study on her campus. She spent her babysitting money on Bibles so she could give them out to her unsaved friends. Youth pastors who heard about this brought her boxes of Bibles to give away." p. 47




Chan includes an incredible essay that was written by Brooke. In it, she poignantly declares,"You see, I'll be one of those people who will live to be history makers at a young age." p. 48



He goes on to explain that Brooke was killed in a car accident her freshman year of high school. Her memorial service was attended by nearly 1500 people. Some from her school read poems that Brooke had written about her love for God and "everyone spoke of her example and of her joy." Chan goes on to tell that he shared the gospel that day, inviting those that wanted to know Jesus to give their lives to Him. At least two hundred students gave their lives to Christ that day and each of them was given a Bible...one of the Bibles that Brooke was hoping to give to her unsaved friends.



When I first read this passage, I thought about kids I personally know that have a tenacious love for God, just like Brooke. There seems to be this obvious anointing upon their lives and an undescribable love for God. It's infectious...and I dare say, it's not learned. I even have one of those kids myself. My middle child has this AMAZING sense of who God is...more importantly, he understands His rightful place in our lives. The other night, we sat down for dinner and forgot to pray. Our son quickly scolded us and told us to grab hands. He then lead us in prayer, which went like this (I kid you not!): Dear God, Thank you for God and Jesus. I love God and Jesus. Thank you for my mom, dad and sisters and this food. I love you, God. Amen." My husband I were snickering throughout the whole prayer...but for two completely different reasons. I was laughing because I think it's so cool that my son loves Jesus as much as he does. My husband was laughing because he can't believe that one of his kids could be so demonstrative in their love for Christ. Either way, we were blown away by the experience.



But, that night, it left me thinking about my love for God. I'll be honest and admit that I was a little envious...of my five-year-old. I know, it's pretty pathetic...but it's also pretty incredible. That night, I prayed that God would allow my family to whole-heartedly follow my son's lead on this. He gives such a great example..not perfect, mind you, but his love is honest and genuine...and undeniable. Even in his mistakes, my son's first response is to think about Jesus and what He would say about his poor choices. Think about how our lives would be different if this was our first response.




THE PUSH




No homework today! Mostly because I'm neck deep in my own homework with Youth Mission Challenge and I'm having a really hard time thinking straight at this point. So...maybe, if you're really wanting an assignment ;)...you could pray for me! The next blog will be the last one for Chapter 2. We've been at this for almost two months. I truly hope God is revealing Himself to you in amazing ways. He's definitely at work in me!


His Faithful Servant~

Deirdre

No comments:

Post a Comment