Saturday, May 22, 2010

Knowing God's Love

The title of Chapter 3 is Crazy Love...sound familiar? By his own definition, Chan describes Crazy Love as this insane, unfathomable, indescribable love that God has for us...and that we should have for Him. But, I think for so many of us, it's seemingly impossible to comprehend this kind of love. I dare say that many, if not most of us, have never experienced this type of love...at least not in a tangible way. For me, I classify this as the love of movies and fairytales, not real...it just makes for a really good story (and unrealistic expectations). But, when we're talking about God and His love for us, it's suppose to be real. The problem, for me, is that it doesn't feel that way...or maybe it's just that I have absolutely no idea how it's suppose to feel. But, here's the key...the most important thing: I know that God loves me...I don't deny that...I just don't feel it. I don't have a sense of it. I don't understand what His love looks like, feels like.



So...this is the focus of Chapter 3...trying to wrap our heads around what God's love looks like. Trying our best to understand His love. I had a conversation with someone recently, talking about this exact same topic. And as she often does, she shook her head at me, smirking, as if to say, "Oh, you silly girl. When are you going to get it?" When she finally did say something, it confirmed my suspicion. She tried to explain to me that we aren't meant to understand His love, we're just to except it. Well...that didn't go over well. I'll be honest and tell you that this really ticked me off. And I don't know that it was necessarily what she said (but I will admit that HOW she said it definitely didn't win me over!). It just seems, to me at least, that I'm getting a lot of this lately. I get that God is omnipotent and that we are not meant to understand Him...that we're not even capable of understanding Him. But, I don't accept that this gives us the right to live in ignorance. And I'm definitely not going to pretend that I feel like God loves me...pretending to "get it" is what got me into this mess in the first place.


I WANT to "get it." I want to feel God's love for me...even if it's for a fleeting moment. Knowing His love and feeling His love are two completely different things. And, honestly, I don't care what anyone says, I believe that He wants me to experience both...that He wants all of us to experience both. In Chapter 3, Chan really tries to help us figure out the possible obstacles that are inhibiting us from experiencing God's love...His Crazy Love.




THE PUSH




It's time for another video. Check out the introduction to Chapter 3.








No comments:

Post a Comment